Clearing clutter, taking down personal photos, applying a fresh coat of paint, making minor repairs, and keeping a pleasant aroma are all basic techniques to make your home more appealing. But there are a few other creative enhancements that you can do to wow buyers without emptying your wallet.
While not everyone has the same taste in housing, typically buyers are attracted to larger kitchens, extra storage space, light and bright rooms, and open floor plans. Special finishing touches on a home can be the needed incentive to generate an offer.
Here are five areas where homeowners may spend some of their remodeling money to add the "wow" factor to your home.
1. Go green. Energy efficient products and household goods are attractive to buyers. Things such as better insulation, replacing old windows, caulking, and adding skylights can increase value.
2. Crown molding and wider baseboards. Adding a wider baseboard and a fresh coat of paint makes the room come to life. Also, framing windows and doors helps complete the look of a room.
3. Textured paint. Faux finishes, accented walls, or even just a little fresh paint on them makes a lasting impression. Choose colors and textures wisely.
4. Improved flooring. Wood, tile, and new carpet can be a showstopper. But if the flooring is chipped, torn, or dirty, you'll get the opposite reaction from buyers.
5. Add a deck. Adding a deck can add value to your home.